Saturday 25 January 2020

Review of the day

I couldn’t find much that I fancied this morning, at an acceptable price - and as a consequence, ended up with tips in just 2 of the races.

It’s a problem I’m encountering more and more: the longer you give the markets to mature, the less ‘value’ bets there are (at 'early' prices).

I’m not sure how best to overcome it - but I’m certainly giving it plenty of thought !

In terms of the days tips, then 2 of them ran in the big handicap on the Cheltenham card - and one of them ran very well.

In fact, turning for home, I did think that Ex Patriot was going to win.
It looked to me as if Derek O’Connor felt he had the leader covered - whilst everything in behind was coming under pressure.

However, Ex Patriot wasn’t going quite as well as I hoped - and it soon became apparent that he was going to struggle to make it to the front.
Worse than that, a couple of those behind were staying on…

O’Connor flung the horse at the last - but he didn’t get the jump he was hoping for and Ex Patriot was beaten.

In a pulsating finish, Oldgrangewood got the better of Saint Calvados and Lalor. The track record of the winner, now looks a fair bit better !

Ballyhill was the other tip in the race - but he was a late drifter and came under pressure relatively early.
I think it’s safe to say that he remains out of sorts…

Peter the Mayo man was the only other tip on the day - and he too came up short.

In fairness the race panned out as I expected, with a really strong pace setting it up for the finishers.

It did briefly look at if he might get involved - but he found little for pressure after jumping the second last.

There were plenty of Mentions on the day (due in part, to me not being able to get the prices to enable me to tip) and it looked as if Protektorat had got them off to the perfect start, when he got the better of a tight finish, in the opener at Cheltenham.
However, following a long stewards enquiry, he was thrown out for causing interference to the runner up.
That struck me as a very strange decision. You see finishes like that every day of the week, and nothing ever happens.
Connections of Protektorat are right to feel aggrieved - and I can understand their decision to appeal.
The fitting of cheek pieces had an effect on Singlefarmpayment - they made him run a bit slower !
To be honest, it’s impossible to know what to do with him - another trainer would be all I could suggest (I could suggest something else - but I won’t !)…
Champ should have won the Dipper - but he fell at the second last, thereby presenting the race to Midnight Shadow.
In the 3 mile hurdle, Goodbye Dancer looked to be coming to win the race, when he took a horrible looking fall at the final flight - it was that kind of day.
Whilst Roksana did run really well in the Relkeel hurdle - but wasn’t quite good enough.
That was almost exactly what I expected - I just didn’t expect it to be Summerville Boy who beat her.
Over at Musselburgh, Copper West never featured in the handicap chase - which was a bit surprising, given his consistent record.
Finally, Black Buble also didn’t feature at Fakenham - but yet again, I would be prepared to forgive him ('Cliff Horse' alert !).
The ground looked softer than he would have wanted, but he travelled nicely at the back of the field.
However, the race got very messy over the final couple of flights and he was never positioned to mount a challenge.
Again, he will be dropped a pound for the run - and I’m getting a good idea of what he needs (quick ground, good pace, long straight).
Given the right conditions, he is definitely capable of winning…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment