Saturday 25 January 2020

Review of the day

Days like today, do make you wonder…

I had an incredibly stressful morning, trying to issue the tips - and then writing/adjusting the write-up to reflect what I'd been able to do.

I hoped that things would get better once the racing got underway - but alas, that wasn’t the case !

Two seconds and a third, from 4 tips, only tell half the story - as does a winning Mention, who had a BSP of 6/1 - the price I was looking for, in order to make him a tip !

There must be easier ways to make a living...

In terms of the detail, then Hold the Note was the first tip to run.

This was the second time I’d tipped him in the past month - and once again, he was incredibly unlucky.

He travelled through the race like the best horse - and when he jumped into the lead over the last, it looked all over (he traded at 1.16 in running).
However Two for Gold battled back - and his tenacity ultimately won out.

It was a horrible way to start the day - particularly as it emphasised how unlucky we had been on Boxing day (when Hold the Note was virtually brought down).

R’Evelyn Pleasure was the next tip to run - but his jumping was poor and he was never able to get into a challenging position.
He had been very well backed just before the off, so I suspect we were on a ‘live’ one - but if you can’t jump the fences, you're never going to win.

Next it was Decor Irlandais.
The market moves this morning encouraged me to switch to him - and I was feeling pretty pleased with that decision as he breezed past Keen On (my original fancy), rounding the home turn.

He still had to catch Shan Blue, but as he drew alongside approaching the last, he looked by far the most likely winner (traded at 1.25 in running).

However, he didn’t have much left in the tank - and ultimately couldn’t withstand the late challenge of Mossy Fen.
It didn’t feel quite as bad as Hold the Note - but is was still a real sickener…

Echiquier was the final tip to run - and he ran a fair race without really looking likely to win.
Ultimately, he finished third - but that was flattering, as 2 falls at the final flight gifted him 2 places…

As for the Mentions, then Kimberlite Candy was the one who got away…

I would have liked to tip him this morning - but wanted 6/1.
I had no trouble securing that price on BF - but is was never available with the bookies.
It’s such a frustrating situation.
I’ve been caught out by it 3 or 4 times already this season and I don’t know how to combat it.
I could just tip at BSP - but that’s hard to do when you’ve no idea what price you will end up with.
As I said this morning, it’s an area I will need to give serious thought to…

As for the other Mentions:
Then Top Notch had a rare off day - and could only finish third to Frodon (who was entitled to beat him - if fully wound up).
Less surprisingly, Walt also had an off day (enigmatic horses tend to do that !).
The irritating aspect of his race, was that it as won by Fingerontheswitch.
I tipped him at a big price, over the Christmas period - but he was withdrawn on account of the ground.
Having watched him hack up in a better race today, you have to feel he would have gone very close in that race.
Finally, Doc Penfro was another one who went very close at Warwick.
In fact, jumping the last, he looked to have the race won (he traded at 1.1 in running !). But as with Hold the Note and Decor Irlandais, earlier in the afternoon, he was run out of it close home.

I honestly don’t think I’ve had many more frustrating/painful tipping days :(

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment