Sunday 29 December 2019

Review of the day

It was nice to tip a winner this afternoon - and end a mini draught - but I couldn’t help thinking, that I should have done a whole lot better…

I had 6 horses on my list of possible tips this morning - Fingerontheswitch was a NR - but 3 of the other 5 won !
When you consider that I only managed 1 winner from 4 tips, that’s some going !I

The 2 that ‘got away’ were A Plus Tard - who I rejected because his price was in free-fall and I thought there may be a late NR (I wanted to tip him EW) - and Global Citizen.
I eventually decided against the latter on account of the ground - and instead tipped Grand Sancy.
Those are the kind of decisions that can haunt you !

Fortunately, I stuck with the biggest priced runner from my original list - and under a great ride from ‘Go to Paddy’ he got the job done.

As I said this morning, Tiquer is a horse who has been on my radar literally for years (I’m in this game for the long haul !).
I knew he had his conditions today - and suspected that he would be primed for the job.
It also looked an eminently winnable race - and that's how it turned out.

In the race itself, he was always close up - and when Paddy pressed the button after jumping the second last, he bounded clear.
It was a joy to watch !

He was returned at 16/1 - so a little shorter than the advised price.
That said, 25/1 was freely available when I issued the tip, so I would hope that those of you with bookmaker accounts managed to achieve that.

Ofcourse, those of you who target beating BSP, should have done even better, as his BSP was just under 40 !

I know it won’t stop people from jumping on as soon as I issue the tips - but those following at BSP are now 15pts ahead of those following at advised price - and they don’t have hassle either !
That really is food for thought…

Anyway, after that it was downhill - from a tipping perspective, at least !

Grand Sancy was the next tip to run - and whilst he ran really well, he was no match for Global Citizen (see above !).
The ground clearly wasn’t too soft for him (as I feared) -  or quite soft enough for Gand Sancy - and the class of Global Citizen got him home.
A mighty frustrating one !

Next it was Elysian Flame.
He was a risky one - based on his run at Cheltenham.
In fairness, he jumped much better today - but was no match for all the way winner, Allmankind.

He was given a beautifully judged ride by Harry Skelton - and was much too good for his rivals.

Vieux Morvan was the final tip to run.
I rarely tip EW - and today showed why !
He was still front rank - and probably going well enough - when he clouted a fence and unshipped Oakley Brown.
2 bets lost in one movement :(

As for the Mentions:
Then A Plus Tard got the better of a battle with Chacun pour Soi.
I knew it was a possibility - but simply there was no point at which I could tip him at an acceptable price.
These things happen…
All of the days other Mentions justified my decision not to tip them.
Both Ask Dillon and Yala Enki ran well to finish third in their respective races at Chepstow.
Sceau Royal filled the same position at Kempton - though I was left feeling he could have won, if he had been given a more committed ride (I suspect the jockey was mindful of the ground).
Culture de Sivola went off too hard - and had nothing left in the straight: whilst Belami des Pictons was just disappointing (I guess he may have bled again).

On balance, it wasn’t a bad day - it just could have been a fair bit better.

Still, I guess that leaves me with something to aim for tomorrow :)

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment