Saturday 29 February 2020

Review of the day

The abandonment of Newbury meant that it was another quiet day, tips-wise - but as with last Saturday, it was a case of quality over quantity…

Gino Trail was the only tip on the day - and as I’m sure experienced readers of the write-up will have noted, I quite fancied him !

I was relatively confident that if Fergal had him back anything like his best, then in ideal conditions, he was going to take some beating - and Fergal is a man who rarely lets you down !

Paddy Brennan set out to make all, on the horse - and whilst his jumping wasn’t blemish free, his attacking style continually put pressure on his rivals.

In such extreme conditions, I wasn’t surprised that few could live with him, and ultimately he came home a reasonably comfortable winner.

It would be nice if all tips worked out like that !

One thing that is worth pointing out (again), is the BSP.

It was 5.76 - despite the fact that the final traded price in the 'live' market, was 6.2.

Once again, those taking BSP were effectively accepting a 10% reduction on the price available moments earlier - which is quite cost for the convenience…

Away from the tip, there were also a couple of Mentions - and one of them, ran particularly well…

That was Ziggy Rose, who I thought might possibly be worth a small speculative play against the favourite, Cill Anna.
And jumping the final flight, I was wishing I’d made Ziggy Rose more than just a Mention !
She went the best part of a length up on Cill Anna - and traded at 1.35 in-running.
However, Harry Cobden galvanised the favourite - who in fairness pulled out plenty, to win by half a length.
If I’d thought on this morning, I would have suggested the ‘w/o the fav’ market.
Ziggy Rose was 7/1 in that - which with hindsight, was a decent bet…

Geordie B was the days other Mention - but she ran very poorly.
I thought she would appreciate the heavy ground - but the reverse seemed to be true and she was pulled up, early in the home straight.

The only other race that I previewed, was the Grimthorpe.
My comments on Captain Chaos, were that he was ‘a bit of plodder’.
If I’d reflected for a minute, I would have realised that was exactly what was required at Doncaster, this afternoon !
Suffice to say, he came home in splendid isolation….

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment